Unique Girl Names; 30+ Unique Names For Your Baby Girl
Looking For A Unique Girl Name For Your Baby Girl? Here are 30+ Unique Girl Names
Are you looking for a unique girl names for your baby girl? Want to find a perfect baby name that no-one else in the school playground will have?
Here are 30+ unique girl baby names for you to choose from.
How To Pick An Unique Baby Name Other Babies Won’t Have
While some parents are happy to have pretty but undoubtedly popular names, for others it’s much more important to have a name for their new baby no-one else will have. Everyone remembers having two, three or more children in their class with the same name, don’t they?
If you want a really unusual baby name, a good place to look for unique girls names in the UK is on the ONS Baby Name data list, which records all the names given to three or more babies that year (this is usually released in October, with stats for the previous year).
While the names at the top of the ONS baby name list are likely to have been given out thousands of times – for example Olivia, the most popular name in the UK for 2019 had been given to over 4,000 babies – the names right at the bottom are much more unusual, and have been given to babies the least out of all names in the UK.
Each of the names on our list appears on the bottom of the ONS Baby Name data, meaning each name was given out three times or fewer that year.
It’s not to say that these beautiful rare girls names aren’t great names, just less popular!
Several of these names are also traditionally considered boys names, hence low usage on the girls baby name list, which would make for cute uncommon baby girl names or good gender neutral names.
Here Are 30+ Unique Girl Names With Meanings
- Adrienne: From the French name Adrien, meaning ‘from the city of Hadria’
- Alienor: From the Greek for light, and an alternative spelling of Eleanor
- Buffy: Short form of Elizabeth, meaning oath or sabbath. And a popular vampire slayer.
- Calla: For the Lily, meaning beautiful
- Carol: Meaning ‘free man’
- Darcia: Dark, related to the Irish and Gaelic name Darcie
- Dory: Of French origin meaning gilded (and a Finding Nemo reference)
- Elvia: Related to the Irish name Elva, meaning white
- Esty: Meaning star, and a short form of Esther (and the main character from Netflix show Unorthadox)
- Fable: Meaning a story with a moral or lesson
- Florin: Short form of the German name Florentius, and traditionally used for boys
- Flori: Meaning flower, and a short form of Florence – read my post on nicknames for Florence
- Hanne: A Hebrew name meaning ‘God has favoured me’
- Hudson: Meaning Hugh’s son, and a traditional English last name
- Ide: A Japanese name, meaning one who lives near a dam
- Juna: Either related to the goddess Juno, or born in June
- Kit: Meaning Christ, short for Christopher
- Laine: Meaning road, or pathway
- Leda: A name of Greek origin, and the Queen of Sparta
- Max: From Maxmillion, meaning greatest
- Nena: Spanish origin, meaning ‘little girl’
- Odessa: Of Greek origin for ‘angry man’, also for The Odyssey
- Orli: My light
- Ray: Wise protector, traditionally a boy’s name
- Rua: Irish origin, meaning red hair
- Sani: Brilliant, splendid
- Sirin: A Muslim girl’s name, meaning ‘wife of the prophet’
- Tate: Meaning cheerful. Traditionally an English last name
- Tova: A girl’s name of old Norse and Hebrew origins, related to Thor, the God of Thunder
- Vitoria: Meaning victory, or related to the name Victoria
- Vala: Of German origin, meaning ‘singled out.’
Are You Pregnant And Looking For Baby Names?
- Read our post on old fashioned baby names (with lots of vintage naming ideas).
- Read my list of 155 one syllable boy names for your baby
- Or pretty flower names for girls.
- Perhaps you like Royal baby names instead?
- Or are looking for unique boy names
- Or you can read my nicknames for Eliza and nicknames for Grace
- One syllable girl names for your baby and 101 gender neutral names
- You might find your perfect Ivy nickname or nickname for Amelia or nickname for Olivia or nickname for Isla or nickname for Ava