25 Royal Baby Names For Girls And Boys
Looking for Royal Baby Names For Boys And Girls And Their Meanings?
Are you pregnant and looking for the best and most unusual royal baby names for boys and girls? Here are 20+ royal baby names for boys and royal baby names for girls, and the meanings of each baby name.
I really love old fashioned baby names, so spent a lot of time looking them up when I was pregnant. However, I also love royal baby names and lots of these were on our list.
Our eldest’s name is a shortened version of a classic royal name that’s the name of the reigning monarch of the British royal family.
See my post on nicknames for Eliza.
Why Pick A Regally-Inspired Name For Your Baby?
Baby names tend to be cyclical, with rises and falls in popularity over time. For example, old fashioned baby names are currently popular and many make up the top 100 baby name lists, whereas a few years ago many people wouldn’t have chosen these types of name, and they weren’t popular.
However, royal names for babies – baby names picked for and used by members of the royal family – tend to be classic and timeless, as well as beautiful and graceful.
If you want a baby name from a specific royal period, or are just interested in really old names – then look at history books or record books from the time (the library is your best bet).
You can also look at the ONS (Office of National Statistic) Baby Name Data. You can look at the ONS baby name data on its website – this contains historial name data as well as more recent naming trends.
Here are 25+ Royal Baby Names For Girls, And Their Meanings
Royal Baby Names For Girls, And Their Meanings
- Alice: A classic English name, and royal name, meaning from nobility
- Anne: Of Hebrew origins, this name means gracious and merciful
- Beatrice: Means bringer of joy, the name has French origins
- Charlotte: Another French name, and one given to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s daughter, Charlotte means free
- Catherine: The historic royal baby name Catherine has Greek origins, and means pure
- Eleanor: Of Hebrew origins, the name means ‘God is my light’ or ‘God is my candle’
- Elizabeth: God is my oath is the meaning of the name of the reigning monarch at the head of the British Royal Family
- Eugenie: A name with French origins, meaning well born
- Grace: The name Grace has Latin origins, and means charm
- Margaret: An English name meaning pearl
- Victoria: Winner, or conqueror
- Zara: A name with a literal royal meaning, and one given to Princess Anne’s daughter – Zara means ‘princess’
Royal Baby Names For Boys, And The Meanings
- Archie: The name of the newest royal baby, Archie means archer, or bold
- Albert: A name with English origins, Albert means bright and noble
- Alexander: Meaning ‘defender of the people’ the name Alexander has Greek origins
- Alfred: A name of English origin, Alfred means counsel or counsellor
- Charles: A popular name among people fond of the nickname Charlie, Charles means free man
- Edgar: Of English origins, Edgar means ‘rich spear’
- Edward: Wealthy guardian is the meaning of the name Edward
- Frederick: Another name popular for a shortened version, Freddie, Frederick means peaceful ruler
- George: One with Greek origins, George means ‘farmer’
- Henry: ‘Ruler of the home’ is the meaning of this name, with German origins
- James: A biblical name with Hebrew origins, James means ‘supplanter’
- William: This name has English origins and means ‘with guilded helmet.’
Looking For More Baby Names?
You can also read my posts on
- Old fashioned baby names
- 40+ flower names for girls
- Unique girls names and unusual girls names
- nicknames for Florence
- Or are you looking for unique boy names?
- One syllable girl names for your baby
- Read my list of 155 one syllable boy names for your baby
- And read all the things no-one tells you about pregnancy