What’s in a baby name? The whole world of our nicknames for Eliza
It took us ages to pick Eliza’s name – it was basically a looong process of me suggesting an obscure old lady name and being instantly vetoed – but both Alex and I are known by short versions of our names, so we knew we wanted something with nickname potential. It turns out there’s now a million different things we call her, most of which are only tenuously linked to her name. I’m sure even now this list doesn’t include them all, but here goes:
- Eli, Li, Liza (all the obvious ones)
- LiLi G (this is her future rapper name)
- Lion / Liono / Liono Blair
- Mugaroo / Mugachips / Mugarooney (long story behind this one, but there are endless incarnations of it)
- Chairman Proud
- The Chairman
- El Chubitan (bit mean…but she did used to have very chubby wrists)
- Grace Face
- Howel Babu / Babu Howel
- Eliza Minelli
- And finally, Gummu (very topically teething related – we now have a top one!)
It’s actually good writing these down as I’m sure we’ll forget them all soon as we make up new ones. Do you call your baby by bizarre nicknames? What’s the oddest one? Tell me it’s not just us!
We’ve had a fun morning at a new playgroup but seriously, I’m not sure which one of us is more exhausted (possibly not the one crawling round trying to pull books from the shelves). I’m looking forward to a joint naptime.