10 unavoidable truths about life with a newborn
We’re currently nearly two weeks in to life with our brand sparkly new baby, and it’s still going pretty well at the moment. It is lots easier second time round – albeit with different challenges – and everything really does come flooding back. Thankfully!
However, going through the baby days again has shown that even with different children, certain things remain eternal about life with a newborn…so here are my ten unavoidable truths.
1) The cuter and more brightly patterned the babygro, the higher the chances of it needing changing within two minutes
2) And the baby will need another nappy change the *instant* you’ve popped the final popper shut from the last one
3) Despite having unlimited stocks in two different sizes, five colours and three fancy patterns, there’s never a muslin to hand when you’re faced with baby sick
4) The postman will always jauntily ring the doorbell, twice, the instant you’ve settled down with a sleeping newborn either on or attached to your chest
5) In the – slightly adapted – words of 90’s angst-ridden singer Alanis Morisette, it’s like 10,000 breastpads when all you need is a maternity pad
6) And again, it’s like 10,000 breastpads until you actually really need one
7) Visit from the Boob Fairy? Fantastic. But the novelty wears thin each time you wake up with leaky giant boulders strapped to your chest
8) You’ll always be wearing white, cream or grey marl when your boobs leak
9) Having a newborn means it’s somehow open season for commenting on your parenting choices (especially by old ladies in the supermarket, bizarrely)
10) You have no need for a hot water bottle, as the joys of a warm sleeping baby on your chest are infinite.