Breastfeeding hacks – the best tips for baby feeding
Looking for breastfeeding hacks?
Following on from my post on pregnancy life hacks, here’s some simple life hacks* for breastfeeding (* these are useful top tips that will hopefully make a difference to how you nurse and feed your baby).
The best breastfeeding hacks:
- When you sit down to breastfeed, always have the TV remote, a charged phone, a drink and a snack within reach. You might be there for hours (I still have nightmares about the time Loose Women came on and the remote was all the way across the room)
- Breastfeeding is good downtime for everything from blogging to pinning; read some of my breastfeeding and social media tips from last year
- It can be quite isolating to be awake feeding in the dark at 2am (and 4am, 5am and so on). Look for other mums on Twitter on #3amfc or #nightfeed. Save your favourite TV programmes to watch on iPlayer or Netflix. Read our latest TalkMum Night Feed Nine
- Suffering a sartorial crisis? Make normal clothes breastfeeding-friendly by wearing a vest underneath. Pull your top up, and the vest down. This means you don’t show much boob and you don’t flash your post-baby belly. Plus it keeps you warm if you have a winter baby (read my posts on stylish summer breastfeeding dresses, winter breastfeeding dresses, breastfeeding party dresses and the my best breastfeeding bras)
- Going back to work, still breastfeeding and not sure how it’ll…well, work? Read this post on expressing in the workplace and read my guide to the best breast pumps
- If you use breastpads, have you thought about reusable ones made of fabric that you can just throw in the washing machine? They are quite bulky for during the day, so I tended to use at night or when I was around the house
- Make sure you always put washable breastpads in a net bag to wash though (here’s why!)
- Good support is necessary, both from the people around you and the physical support that props you up when you feed. I used two pillows – a v-shaped one for behind my back, and a c-shaped pillow around my waist. There’s loads of different ones, find ones that work for you
- The final breastfeeding hack – the c-shaped breastfeeding pillows that go around your waist also make good laptop rests, strangely enough!
If you liked my post on breastfeeding hacks, make sure you also read my posts on