32 Things You’ll Obsess About In Your Baby’s First Year
Your Baby’s First Year: 32 Things You’ll Obsess About In Your Baby’s First Year
Just had a baby? Here are 32 things you’ll obsess about in your baby’s first year…
- Why no-one told you childbirth was going to be like *that*
- If you’ll ever feel normal again
- The bellybutton clip
- How your baby could possibly be one week old already – where does time go…?
- Boobs or bottles, in some form or another
- Is it too cold? Do they need another blanket? Shall we turn the heating up to ‘super super tropical’? Shall I put an extra top on over their vest, babygro, tights, cardigan and snowsuit? Do they need socks?
- Is it too hot? What does the back-up thermometer say? Is factor 50 enough? The pram parasol’s not covering a tiny fraction of their body, oh my god
- How your baby is the most beautiful baby ever and they should probably be a child model despite the fact you don’t believe in that, and all the other mums must be secretly jealous, but yeah
- Some sort of minor mini person medical non-ailment that will send you into a tailspin of 3am visits to Dr Google and self-prescriptions of worst-case scenarios
- If your baby will ever sleep through
- Or just sleep
- Or if you’ll ever sleep. Or if lack of sleep can actually make you crazy.
- How you really, really need that life-changing baby thing that’ll solve all your problems immediately. That doesn’t ever work and why did you waste your money?
- If they’ll ever do X (insert random developmental thing here) because all the other babies in your NCT group are, and how is that person’s baby walking already?
- How you really, really need another super-cool unisex patterned babygro. That immediately gets covered in sick. Or that super-cute impractical outfit they’ll never, ever wear
- That all the other mums seem way more natural, sorted and good at this motherhood thing than you are (clue: they’re not)
- Six months…already? Slow down time!
- Weaning, how to wean, if they’re eating enough food (not realising that your child will hit three and point blank refuse to eat anything but chips and cucumber for a week on holiday, and you’ll be fine with that because cucumber’s a vegetable, right?)
- Where that mum over there got her patterned muslins from
- First tooth is coming…no it’s not…first tooth is coming…no it’s not…first tooth is here! Now, just need to repeat this 19 more times
- Which top secret super hiding place you put the red book in
- Your child’s injection scar
- The best way to spend time during nap time, for the entire nap time
- How is it ten months? HOW? My baby’s grown up already
- Going back to work, not going back to work, childcare, if you should have put their name down for nursery pre-conception
- Some ridiculous thing the health visitor said
- If your child will be developmentally, emotionally or physically stunted if you miss Baby Yoga this week because you’re too tired to leave the house
- Some ridiculous thing an old lady in the supermarket or person on a bus said
- How is it possible your baby is nearly…one?
- And how did you survive?
- Why you spent so long obsessing over ridiculous things
- And isn’t it funny how unconditional love is a real, actual thing? Hey, baby x
P.S. baby milestone cards…for mums and things I don’t miss about life before children.
Follow me on Instagram
August 29, 2015 at 10:06 pm
Hi ! I’m sure i left a comment but i can’t see it, neither if is awaiting approval … i guess it’s on spam 🙁
September 14, 2015 at 8:58 am
Just found you in spam! Phew x
August 31, 2015 at 8:37 am
It’s so true, lol. It was very tired but happy to see our baby growing up day by day.
August 31, 2015 at 10:05 pm
Very funny but very true list!! I am on baby number 2 now and I still do about half of the list.
September 14, 2015 at 8:56 am
Me too! 🙂 x
September 1, 2015 at 12:18 am
Thanks for posting.. These are very familiar.
I’d add co-sleeping? Cot? Moses basket? Cot attached to the side of the bed? And all the terrors associated with making the wrong choice.
September 14, 2015 at 8:55 am
YES! So true. So much baggage attached to each. Especially first time round x
September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Is it weird, that even with Bear at 3 years old, I still obsess about getting THOSE funky muslins?!! 🙂 x
September 1, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Are you in my very mind?! I was preparing to right the numbers down in my comment as a sort of agreeing-nod-like-thing, but that’s ridiculous when all of the points apply. Bravo mind reading lady!!x
September 2, 2015 at 4:16 pm
I’m sure i left a comment because some of those things happenned to us like non-experimentally parents and you make me remember, but i can’t see my comment 🙁 Btw i’m reading you from Romania 🙂
September 14, 2015 at 8:43 am
I can see it! Thanks so much. Hello! Thanks so much for reading xx
Review of new TotsBots PeaNut cloth nappy | A Baby on Board
September 7, 2015 at 8:21 am
[…] 32 things you’ll obsess about in the baby’s first year, and the G […]
Alternative activities for babies and toddlers | A Baby on Board
September 10, 2015 at 3:11 pm
[…] The 1st year […]
September 11, 2015 at 9:32 pm
But even you’re too tired… I still don’t want my baby to grow too fast! lol…
Things they don’t tell you in NCT classes | A Baby on Board
January 10, 2016 at 11:27 pm
[…] The 1st year […]