The 20 stages of watching a film when you have children
Watching a film seems to have become a big event in our house since we had a baby. We always plan it but it hardly ever actually happens. Although it’s not as rare as our cinema going…the last film we saw was X-Men First Class, nearly three years ago.
In theory, watching a film should be a simple two step process of 1) pick film 2) watch film. But in practise, when you have children?
Here’s what it’s actually like:
- Decide to watch a film that evening
- Get mildly excited as this rarely happens, and there’s loads we both wanted to see and missed at the cinema
- Try and get child to bed on time
- Child decides tonight is not the night to go to sleep, and “more stories please, mummy!”
- Two hours later…finally sit down together and turn on Netflix
- Fail to remember a single film we wanted to watch
- Have a general scroll through all the suggestions to see what’s out
- Immediately disagree on the type of film we want to watch
- Agree to a compromise…kind of
- Spend 20 minutes searching categories for something we both like
- Child wakes up
- Once she’s back asleep, spend 20 minutes discussing if it’s now too late to watch a film
- Finally agree on film; then be struck by fear there might be something better on and spend ten minutes scrolling through to look at alternatives
- Watch film we’d first decided on
- Multiple pregnancy loo breaks; pause
- Multiple snack breaks; pause
- Get to a crucial, cliffhanging plot point…
- …and inevitably, child wakes up
- Take so long to settle her that we give up, go to bed and watch the end on the iPad
- Say ‘this is great, why don’t we watch a film more often?’
Which is why we aways end up watching a TV series on Netflix instead, or something more like this. Although here’s a list of the 101 best films to watch on Netflix. Taking note for next time…
I’m a member of the Netflix Stream Team, for which I was given an annual subscription to Netflix and an iPad to watch it on.
July 23, 2014 at 10:22 pm
hahaha! That happens here all of the time….
July 23, 2014 at 10:23 pm
hehehe, mirror of our house & film watching fails. ALWAYS: the hub falls asleep. grrr.
New Year’s Eve, new baby style |
December 31, 2014 at 1:51 pm
[…] * The guest list? It’s shaping up to be an intimate affair a deux, featuring a – hopefully – sleeping baby. With potential guest appearances from the non-sleeping toddler, inevitably just before midnight. Entertainment will consist of finding the least rubbish thing on TV, or something we can both vaguely agree on from Netflix. […]
The sleeping baby secret film club – Netflix recommendations |
February 8, 2015 at 9:56 pm
[…] Also, more things to watch when you gave a baby and the 20 stages of picking a film on Netflix when you have children. […]
Tension-free things to watch on Netflix |
April 18, 2015 at 9:37 pm
[…] tricky enough to watch films as a parent, but in light of everything we recently did pick a couple – World War Z (zombie film, lots of […]