What (not) to Expect When You’re Expecting
What did you least expect when you were pregnant?
For me it was the following:
- Going off one of my favourite things – avocados – to the extent that even now, the thought of them makes me feel queasy
- The multitude of bizarre pregnancy symptoms I had. Extreme thirst? Dry nose? Incredibly intense dreams? Yep, all of the above…
- Despite developing a sweet tooth and cravings for strawberry milkshake, I was more healthy than I have been in forever. I ate three square meals a day, had my five a day, drank an awful lot of water and still walked up the tube escalators at eight and a bit months pregnant
- Having a high-risk pregnancy meant I was under consultant-led care, with a multitude of ongoing medical appointments, extra scans and so many blood tests combined with daily injections that I felt like a human pin cushion. Basically, it meant spending a LOT more time at the hospital than I’d imagined
- However, I also didn’t expect pregnancy to be as amazing as it was. I absolutely loved it, despite some not-so-great bits, and I still feel really nostalgic now when I think about it
There is an awful lot of information and advice around health during pregnancy, and it can be difficult for parents-to-be to know what to do for the best. This is where Start4Life comes in – it’s an initiative from the Department of Health that aims to give mums and mums-to-be tips and advice on issues such as nutrition, obesity, activity, alcohol and smoking.
What did you least expect when you were expecting?