Ten great things you can only do once you’re a parent
Writing my post on the things you must do before the baby arrives (drink all the wine! Wear white! Concentrate on something for longer than about 20 seconds!) it occurred to me that even though there’s lots you can’t do any longer, becoming a mum or dad opens the doors to a lot more fun things you can do now.
It’s not all sleepless nights, sick and nappy changes – here’s my top ten parenting guilty pleasures aka all the things you can only do once you’re a parent:
- Gain a certain satisfaction from making stacking cup towers, wooden brick buildings and intricate Duplo constructions (How much more fun are children’s toys now? I’d be lying if I said the reason for our impending move wasn’t partly to the need for more space for a toy kitchen, ball pit and tipi…for the toddler, of course)
- And swings, slides and paddling pools are all guilty playground pleasures you can totally relive with a mini-you. There’s a whole loud of Prostian rushes and reminders about your own childhood to be had here
- ‘Help’ them eat their dinner…especially fish fingers and spaghetti hoops
- Even if you’re on a no-clothes buying ban, it’s fine – and a lot more fun – to buy them for your children (they grow out of them so quickly, they’re really cheap…oh look, there’s another a sparkly tutu)
- Dress vicariously through them. Clashing colours, mismatched prints, odd combinations; while I’d never dream of wearing such outfits, they all look great on my child
- And you can always dress them in Christmas costumes
- When you’re reading the books again and again, it’s fine to paraphrase and make up the story; they’ll still sit there enraptured
- Teach them things such as singing the ‘E I E I O’ bit of Old Macdonald on demand. This kept us entertained during hours of holiday car journeys
- Eat loads of cake, guilt-free. And it’s practically a parenting prerequestite to drink wine whenever necessary – most days are hard, right?
- Don’t feel bad for never having any social plans. There’s no pressure to go out if you don’t want…ever again
This is my top ten; again, let me know any more I’ve missed!