We’re now over the 30 week mark, and in the words of my mum, who texted me the other day when I mourned the sad state of my once perfect belly button, ‘go Baby C!’ One of my pregnancy iPhone apps gives a daily progress update, and ever since it went from being ten plus something weeks to nine plus something weeks left to go it seems like there’s been a subtle shift and we’re now counting down as opposed to counting up.
There’s really not long to go, and I’m equal parts thrilled and excited (mixed in with a good measure of slightly nervous anticipation, I won’t lie). But as it’s all getting quite close, I’m wondering about things we should do with this time, before the baby arrives. I’m not talking along the lines of buying blankets or painting the spare room – although we’re making good headway with our multiple to do lists – it’s more about making the most of the time to do things we won’t be able to once there’s three of us.
One of my work clients is tommee tippee, and I’m now writing a weekly pregnancy update post on the UK Facebook page. Things we should do before the baby arrives was my theme for this week, and I had some really lovely responses from the community. I also had a conversation on Twitter the other day with Alexandra and Alice on this very topic, who both gave some great suggestions.
So! I’ve used all these to compile a list – as follows – and intend to make sure we work our way through it:
- Take the opportunity to sleep while it’s there! Lie-ins and naps, mmm (sure this will be easier when I’m on maternity leave though)
- Spend quality time with just the two of us
- Go out for dinners at really quiet restaurants
- Go to the cinema and watch lots of films while I’m able to concentrate for more than five minutes
- Meet up with my friends for drinks / dinners
- Eat chocolate for breakfast guilt-free, without having to worry about ‘losing the baby weight’
- Go shopping for non-practical things
- Straighten my hair, paint my nails, apply a full face of make-up
- Have a haircut
- Read books that aren’t What to Expect When You’re Expecting, or anything to do with baby routines
- More sleep
That’s the list so far, but is there anything else I’ve missed off? I’d love to hear any more suggestions…