The best apps for blogging
Where do you blog most? On a desktop, a laptop, a tablet…or your phone? Here’s a list of my best apps for blogging.
At the start of the year over on TalkMum we were talking about social media and blogging when you’re a parent. In a post of tips for new bloggers, one of mine was about using your phone as much as possible to help. It’s a huge time-saver, great when time is the one thing you don’t have and blogging can come way down on a never-ending to do list, even when it’s your job (sound familiar?)
I prefer using the laptop for many things-blogging, but it’s much easier to use my phone as it’s generally always around in those snatched non-toddler moments. It’s useful for inspiration, making lists and notes, drafting posts, using and editing phone photos, uploading simple posts and social sharing.
So here’s the apps and ways and means I use when blogging on my mobile (I have an iPhone, but Android versions are available etc etc) – my best apps for blogging:
Notes, writing, posting
- I use the notes section in my phone to a) make lists of posts I want to write (this is a never-ending list) and b) write posts and then upload them (I never, ever write straight into WordPress in case it loses the post. Always have a backup)
- Google Drive is also useful for writing, saving, organising and so on
- I always use the WordPress app for uploading text I’ve drafted on my phone, even if I publish from elsewhere. It’s not so brilliant for multiple photo uploading, you can’t change the photo file name, and you also have to fill out all the SEO tags later. But it does the job pretty well.
- Gorillacam has a self timer and also the option to take a series of photos at once; perfect for blog selfies if your husband really hates being your photographer (nothing at all to do with the fact I’m that picky. Oh no)
- There are loads and loads of photo editing apps, which is great for when you’re using iPhone photos on posts. Among the ones I use are: VCSO cam, Afterlight (it makes photos into letter shapes – as seen in this Peppa Pig post) A Beautiful Mess, Photography+, Picframe for collages, the list goes on and on…
- I also use PhotoSync to transfer photos from my phone to the laptop.
- In terms of the best social apps for blogging, once you’ve posted, you can share via all the usuals – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+. Some are better than others on your mobile though
- You can also get apps for programmes like IFTTT and Buffer that you can set up to share things automatically.
- There’s a whole load of RSS readers, from Feedly to Bloglovin
- And last in my list of the best apps for blogging, for the old-school, and those who love the proper, full visual experience, bookmarks on Safari do the job. I still have a folder of my favourites called ‘night feeds’ from back when E was really tiny.
What apps do you use for blogging? PS I’ve not linked to any of these as it would take a while, but shout if you can’t find one and I’ll add it in.
More? Here’s my post on 24 time-saving apps for blogging