What are all the strange pregnancy side-effects that no-one ever tells you about? As I’m now in the third trimester, I thought I’d round-up all the symptoms I’ve been experiencing for the past few months (my first trimester recap is here). These aren’t the obvious ones I’d read all about, but more like the startlingly odd symptoms that come surprisingly out of left-field.
Here are my top five:
- Being very squeamish and pretty queasy. Although my morning sickness has long since stopped, I now can’t watch anything even slightly gory without feeling sick. There’s the normal things that bring this on, like anything remotely medical on TV, however the the worst culprit at the moment is that awful ad with the glossy brown singing cow made of gravy. Bleugh
- Clumsiness. Just ask my husband, as yesterday I managed to knock an entire glass of Ribena all over our beige bedroom carpet, without even trying. It’s now banned from the bedroom. As I suspect I will be if I do that again
- Having an irritatingly dry nose
- Lack of sleep, especially when I’m really tired. This consists of waking up and staying awake for at least an hour. About three times a night. Am I right in thinking this will only get worse from now on?
- And finally, unexplained bleeding. Fingers crossed this is consigned purely to the past couple of weeks…
To be fair to the second trimester, there have been none of the nigglingly annoying early symptoms such as constantly feeling dizzy; it’s been great and I’m loving pregnancy. Plus, to balance anything else out I’m now feeling the baby kick all the time, which is the most amazing thing ever.
I’m now wondering what the last three months will bring, although I’m suspecting my next list will include the entry ‘mourning the sad loss of my lovely perfect belly button.’